The Collections Intern (Permanent Collection) will work with the Museum’s Director of Exhibitions to clarify the Museum’s catalogue, and stabilize collection areas. The Collections Intern (Permanent Collection) will implement museum standards and best practices in collection management, practice safe-handling of art and artifacts and gain hands-on experience working with both natural history and fine arts collections.The Collections Intern (Permanent Collection) will be expected to publicly report on progress via the Museum blog.
Ideal candidate holds a degree in history, history of art, museum studies or related field, is currently pursuing such a degree, or has equivalent experience. Ideal candidate works well with minimal supervision, and has a strong interest in museum collections (practically & theoretically.)
Applicants must be available on Mondays or Tuesdays during the Internship Period (June 2017 – December 2017). Applicants must be willing to commit at least 1 day per week during the Internship Period
The International Museum of Surgical Science does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status.
|Application Period||April 3, 2017 – May 12, 2017|
|Interview Period||May 15, 2017 – May 26, 2017|
|Determination||Thursday June 1, 2017|
|Internship Period||June 19, 2017 – December 15, 2017 (6 months)|
How to Apply
Required Application Materials:
- Statement of Intent / Cover Letter (500 words maximum). Statement must address the following 3 prompts:
- Do you have a background working with collections? if not, what is your interest in this internship?
- What in particular interests you about the International Museum of Surgical Science’s collection?
- In what ways do you hope to benefit from this internship?
- C.V. or Résumé
- Writing Sample (500 words maximum)
- 3 References
- For each reference, please include (1) Name (2) Relationship to Applicant (3) Years Acquainted and (4) E-mail Address & Telephone Number
Please send application materials as attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Collections Intern (Permanent Collection) Application