Visit the Taiwan Hall of Fame at the International Museum of Surgical Science in Chicago to celebrate Taiwan’s outstanding contributions to global health and medicine! Through displays of hand-crafted artwork, cultural artifacts and antique medical tools, you can:
• Meet Taiwanese medical luminaries and discover their ground-breaking achievements in fields ranging from organ transplantation to emergency medicine
• Learn about the accomplishments of the International College of Surgeons, Taiwan Section and other prestigious medical organizations and institutions in Taiwan
• Get an update from Taiwan’s Department of Health on the country’s ongoing efforts to improve the health of its people, including the world-renowned National Health Insurance system
• See how health statistics from Taiwan measure up to other countries and track the nation’s initiatives to enhance health abroad by mapping its international medical collaborations
• Explore the unique combination of traditional herbal medicine, folk remedies, and Western medical technology that led to the advanced healthcare services available in Taiwan today
The IMSS celebrates the Taiwan Hall of Fame as one of two remaining national galleries in the Museum. From 1954 to the early 1990s, the Museum consisted of dozens of these halls of fame, celebrating the histories and cultures of various sections of the International College of Surgeons and highlighting their contributions to health and medicine. In the late 1990s, the IMSS transitioned to a more thematic structure for exhibitions and welcomed the addition of its contemporary arts program, Anatomy in the Gallery, in 1998. Be sure to take in a piece of museum history and learn about the cultural vibrancy and pioneering accomplishments of Taiwan and the Taiwanese sector of the International College of Surgeons on your next visit to the International Museum of Surgical Science!
On October 10, 2020, the IMSS, ICS, and the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Chicago came together to celebrate the National Day of the Republic of China (Taiwan) by decorating the Museum with dozens of pots of orchids in various colors and sizes. Traditionally known as the “Kingdom of Orchids,” Taiwan has been growing these beautiful symbols of elegance and sophistication for over 2,000 years. The seeds for the 10/10 orchids came all the way from Taiwan, imbuing them with an even richer significance and particularly special role in this important holiday. The orchids will be on display through the end of October, so don’t miss out!
This exhibit is presented by the International College of Surgeons, Taiwan Section (ICSTW) and made possible by the generous support of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Chicago. The International Museum of Surgical Science is grateful for their continued support and enrichment.