The IMSS Intern Program is currently on hold until the Spring 2021 Term. Applications will be accepted now until the deadline period for Spring interns. For questions please contact us.
The International Museum of Surgical Science offers three periods of education internships in the Spring (February – June), Summer (June – August) and in the Fall (September- December). Start and end dates are flexible to accommodate student schedules. Education interns work in the Museum’s education department. These internships support those with a background in or strong interest in exploring museum education and informal learning environments. They are best suited for college undergraduate students, graduate students and recent graduates.
About the Education Internship
The Education Interns at the International Museum of Surgical Science will work closely with Museum staff to assist with education programming and digital outreach. Duties will include but are not limited to developing and facilitating education programs such as guided tours and drop-in interactive experiences and researching the Museum’s collections to write social media and blog posts. The Intern will be expected to publicly report on progress via the Museum blog.
- Current students or recent graduates studying Education, Museum Studies, Art Education, Art, Art History, History, Anthropology, Medicine or related field
- Motivated, organized and detail-oriented
- Able to work as a team member and independently
- Excellent communication, research and writing skills
- Able to multitask in a dynamic environment
- Experience writing lesson plans or developing educational programming a plus
- Interest in creating digital content
- Passion for cultivating on-site and off-site visitor engagement
- Lead guided tours
- Develop and facilitate an education program based on the Museum’s collections
- Assist with researching ideas for future public and educational programming
- Share internship experiences and research by writing posts for the Museum Blog
- Collaborate with Museum staff to create social media content
- Perform other duties as necessary
Applicants must be willing to commit at least 14 hours per week during the Internship Period, with a minimum of 200 hours total.
The International Museum of Surgical Science does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status.
|Spring Internship||Summer Internship||Fall Internship|
|Application Period||November 15 – January 1||March 1 – April 15||May 15 – July 1|
|Determination||January 15||May 1||July 15|
|Internship Period||February 1 – May 15||June 1 – August 15||August 30 – December 15|
How to Apply
Required Internship Application Materials:
- Statement of Intent / Cover Letter (must address the following 3 prompts)
- What in particular interests you about the International Museum of Surgical Science?
- In what ways do you hope to benefit from this internship?
- Have you ever developed or facilitated an educational program? What did you learn from that experience that you can bring to this internship? OR Describe a significant moment you have had in a Museum. During this internship, what actions would you take to create opportunities for visitors to have a similar experience?
- C.V. or Resume
- Writing Sample (500 words maximum)
- Letter of Recommendation
Please send application materials as attachments to: email@example.com Subject Line: Education Internship Application