The International Museum of Surgical Science supports a commitment to contemporary art and artists through exhibitions and programs that use the frame of contemporary artistic practice to examine new perspectives in medical and surgical science and our relationship to the body.
The Museum continuously seeks exhibition proposals for its rotating contemporary art program, “Anatomy in the Gallery,” which addresses the themes of anatomy, the body, disease, wellness, disability, surgery, and other medical subjects and specializations.
We believe in the power of the arts to build community, inspire social change and bring fresh perspective to difficult and complex issues—including issues of race, ethnicity, class, gender identity and sexual orientation. IMSS seeks applications that address these issues.
The International Museum of Surgical Science does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status.
Individual artists or artist groups are encouraged to apply.
There is non-refundable $35.00 Application Fee for all applications.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, with no deadlines. Applications are kept on file for five years and may be selected within that time frame. Submissions are not guaranteed to be exhibited. If you have exhibiting date restrictions, make a note with the submission.
How to Apply
Required Application Materials:
- Exhibition Application Top Sheet (Download Here)
- 1-10 Examples of Work in any medium
- Images should be attached in .JPG, .TIFF or .PDF format; time-based media should be attached in .MOV or .MP4 format
- Files should be numbered 1 – 10 and will correspond with a Works List including titles, medium, etc.
- Multiple images documenting a single work (for performance, installation, etc.) are not to exceed 3 images.
- Time-based media examples, including video, are not to exceed 5 cumulative minutes.
- Writing examples are not to exceed 10 cumulative pages of text.
- Works List
- Works should appear on this list sequentially and correspond numerically with the Examples of Work.
- Each entry on the works list should include a (1) Title, (2) Medium, (3) Year of Production.
- Entries may be accompanied by explanatory/supplemental text not exceeding 50 words per work example.
- C.V. or Resume
- Artist Statement (500 words maximum)
Please send application materials as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Exhibition Application [Last Name]
The $35.00 Application Fee can be paid online using this link:
Please submit all application materials before initiating payment. The application fee must be submitted before the application deadline. This Application Fee is Non-Refundable.